New walking tour “unlock the walled city”
Link with Icon
Link with Icon
Derry~Londonderry is the second largest city in Northern Ireland after Belfast. It is the city where 2 iconic routes meet; the Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route. It is one of the only intact walled cities on the British Isles and it is steeped in history.
On 23rd September 2020, the new state-of-the-art Visitor Information Centre opened its doors at Waterloo Place; a new hub for tourists to the city and the area. For a sneak preview, click here.
On top of the opening of the new visitor centre, a new city walking tour “Unlock the Walled City” showcases the best the city has to offer! This 3-to-5 hour guided walking tour includes visits to the following locations:
• Tower Museum: this museum houses permanent exhibitions including the Story of Derry from earliest prehistory to present. It also has an open air viewing facility with stunning panoramic views of the city and River Foyle.
• The city walls: these walls are 1.5 km long and over 400 year old. They are the most complete in Ireland and one of the finest examples in Europe of Walled Cities.
• St Columb's Cathedral: this was the first Cathedral built after the Reformation. It is the city’s most historic building containing displays of artefacts from the Siege.
• The Siege Museum: here you can find a permanent display of the history of the Siege of Londonderry
• The Craft Village: this is a reconstruction of an 18th Century Street and 19th Century Square, and provides an eclectic mix of artisan craft shops, balconied apartments, licensed restaurant and coffee shops.
• Museum of Free Derry: The museum was established by the Bloody Sunday Trust in 2006 to tell the story of the civil rights movement and the creation of Free Derry in the 1960's and 1970's.
• The Peace Bridge: Introduced to the city in 2011, the elegant, snaking curves of its design have seen the Peace Bridge become a city icon.
• The Walled City Brewery: enjoy some of the local products in this multi-award winning restaurant and brewhouse
• FIT: from £100 per person
- 10 – 20 pax: from £40 p.p.
- 21 – 30 pax: from 37.5 p.p.
- 31 – 40 pax: 35 p.p.
• To find out more information and to book email Maria McDermott
• Website: www.visitderry.com/Unlock-the-Walled-City
St Columb's Cathedral
The Craft Village
Walled City Brewery